Saturday, March 6, 2010

6 Mile Run and updates....

Wow! My week got crazy in a hurry. And no rest for the weary as the rest of the month is looking to be one for the record books. Between work and family, I've been a busy boy. But, it doesn't mean I haven't been working out- just not updating the blog.....Im a slacker....

Anyway, this week I did the best I could in terms of workouts/running. I was REALLY sore after the run and plyo combo. I took the next day off. Then I did a hard 2 mile run combined with the P90X workout for Back and Biceps. Then I missed a day due to another work thing. Which brings us to today.

The running schedule called for a 6 mile run today. I debated long and hard about it. On the one hand, I'm playing in a soccer tournament on sunday all day and was worried about being sore/fatigued. On the other hand, it was our first really beautiful day in months (sunny and 52 degrees), I could run on the trail for the first time in a month, and I was worried about falling too far behind in my half marathon training. So, I decided I would try and run it, but take it at a really easy pace.

Hit the trail, and I am not sure what happened. Part of it is that the beginning of the trail is all downhill. And I guess part of it was just me being a meathead and/or being pumped about the great weather (I got to wear shorts!), but I took off at a pretty fast pace. How fast? Well, I ran the first two miles in about 16:30- which is rediculous for me right now. But then reality hit- hard.

I had never been out on a lot of this trail before. When I started running it was when I was first starting my program. So I was only running 1 or 2 miles. This trail is 3.3 miles from end to end. So, I used to run out a mile, turn around and run back. And while there were some hills on this part, I had no idea how big the hills were later in the trail. As I was running today, I started to notice some signs for "steep hills ahead". They weren't kidding. These hills were almost a 30 degree incline or more in spots. Unbelievable! I literally hung on for dear life the rest of my run. I finsihed the 6 miles in 1:01:29. Still just over10 minute miles. I guess I should be happy, but I'm actually pissed. If I hadn't hit it so hard at the beginning, I may have had more in the tank later for the hills and probably would have made it in under 10 min/mile. Oh wel- live and learn.

I'm heading to Pennsylvania for an indoor soccer tournament with my buddy tomorrow. We'll have at least 3 games, and more if we make the playoffs. Can't wait to see how sore I am tomorrow. I've been icing my knee and other areas of soreness. Hopefully, I'll be fine, but we'll see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on the 6 mile milestone!

Julie said...

Hi Mike,
Yes, I agree that it is hard getting out on runs sometimes because of how crazy life can get! Awesom job on the six miler!! See, you are getting faster and your body is able to handle longer distances! Keep it up:) I have a feeling you will be running a half marathon before you know it!