Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rd 2 Day 3: Shoulders and Arms

Today was the return of the Shoulders and Arms workout. Man, I forgot how great this workout was! After going through the Upper Plus workout, I never really felt the "burn" like I felt today!

There are two reasons for this (in my opinion). 1) The workout is longer and focuses on less muscles. 2) I used dumbbells instead of the bands this time.

For Christmas, my wife got me a set of adjustable dumbbells. Nothing too crazy- they adjust from 5-25 pounds. But before I had some small weights (up to 12 pounds) and the bands. This time, I used the weights for everything and the burn was fantastic. My forearms and biceps were pumping! It was a hard workout with bands, but I really think using the weights adds a degree of intensity.

I did the ab ripper again. And again, I struggled but managed to make it through the workout.

Diet went well today. I stayed in my target calorie range and got a lot of protein without a large amount of carbs or fat. One change this time around is that I'm in a different calorie range for the food program. Before I was in the level 3. Now, becauseI weigh less, I'm in level 2. Not a huge difference, but I have to eat about 300-400 calories less then I was doing during the first time through P90X. I don't care as long as the fat keeps burning off!

Also, this time through I'm on creatine. Outside of the trace amounts in the P90X recovery drink, I didn't take any creatine last time. But I am taking it now and hoping to see some real improvements.

See you tomorrow for Yoga!

3 comments:

mrmick23 said...

I was lucky enough to have a substantial amount of weights beforehand. I went ahead and got the bands to add variety but, I never really used them b/c they just didn't feel quite right. Occassionally I would use them as a burn out after I failed w/ the dumbells. I have used creatine in the past and it will definantly put some mass on you. Granted some of it will be water weight, but you should see some good gains. My arms got up to 14.5in inches when I was using it. THey are now only about 13.5in. I did lose about 20 lbs though so I'm sure that has something to do with the decrease. The funny thing is although my arms physically decreased in size I can lift more weight now than previously. Glad to hear that you are stayin on track diet wise that is always a little hard. Keep up the hard work!! I know that you will continue to enjoy the dumbells and make some big gains this round if you just keep pressing play!

Mike said...

Thanks Matt. I'm doing my best. Between my knee still giving me problems, and my elbow (hurt in a soccer game this week), it's tough right now. I'm lacking the motivation, etc. It's a struggle right now!

Unknown said...

What do you guys think up the new beachbodies program called: ChaLean Extreme?

It seems to have a lot of weight lifting involved .... looks interesting?