Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Reboot and The New Goal

Hello all! It's been a long time since I've been on here sharing my journey through P90X. Well, after my successful completion of P90X, my journey got a bit derailed. I attempted multiple encores of P90X, P90X+, and Insanity- and each would fail. Not because they don't work, and not because I don't have the desire to complete them. Since the end of my first time with P90X, I went through a string of injuries from various sports, etc that derailed my efforts.

Now, that is a big part of the story, but I also am partly to blame as to where I am right now. I let myself get discouraged, and stopped doing the things that I needed to do to be healthy. I stopped eating right, stopped exercising (though I had to due to injury), and let myself fall back out of shape.

So, I need to get my ass and my life in gear and get back to being healthy. So, today, I'm startign on a fitness journey that will allow me to complete my first half marathon. I'm targeting April 24th as my date. There is a nice half marathon in Ocean City, Maryland along the beach and boardwalk (i.e. NO HILLS) that date. So, I've got 15 weeks to get myself ready. This blog is my way of motivating myself and tracking my workout progress, diet, etc.

So, the program I'm using to get ready is a 12 week program. Since I have 15, and I'm a little (ok a LOT) out of shape, I'm going to modify it a little to add in a little extra time to try and build up my base a little bit. Starting today, I'm switiching over to a fairly strict diet and I will be doing runs of some kind 6 days a week for 3 weeks. Some long, some short, in an effort to build up my base fitness level and break my body into this running thing. Then I will jump into the training program for the half marathon. I may work some P90X workouts into this as well (for sure the Yoga and the Ab Ripper).

Today, I ran my first mile (and a quarter). It sucked. I haven't run in so long, and I had brand new shoes. My feet were killing me after about a minute. I know I need to get myself ready, so I'm not too fazed. I'm an over-pronator (with NO arches), and these shoes are designed for my gait, but I still need to get my feet conditioned to the running, and get my shoes broken in. Add to this the fact that it was a balmy 27 degrees with a 10 mph wind and snow and ice on the sidewalks in somne spots, and it was an interesting run to say the least. Cooled down after with about a 400m walk. thank God for my iPod- I don't know if I'm going to be able to do all this without my tunes!

Diet started off decently. Egg whites and low fat cheese with some turkey bacon for breakfast. A slice of meatloaf made from lean gound beef for lunch. Dinner was some ground turkey and wheat macaroni noodles with cheese and some sauce. Also I had some carrots with a small amount of low fat ranch as well as a handfull of sweet potato chips (no salt and no trans fats). There was also a P90X recovery drink after the run and lots of water today. Overall, a BIG departure from my poor eating habits as of late. I'm looking forward to eating clean again and getting my fitness back where it belongs.