Monday, February 22, 2010

3.5 Mile Run and Yoga

Hello all. I've seen a little spike in traffic since Jeff pimped me on his site. So welcome to any new faces out there. Your words of encouragement are very appreciated!

Today, my half marathon schedule called for a 3.5 mile run. I was on the fence about getting out there to run because another storm system has moved in. Lucky for us, no snow this time. This one decided to dump sleet and freezing rain instead (fun!). It had just started when I got home from work today. I sat there looking at it trying to convince myself to go out and run. It seemed to be letting up a little, so I talked my self into running by saying I could squeeze in at least 2 miles before it started to get heavy and before the sunset.

I ran up to our bedroom, layered up the cold gear, grabbed the Garmin and the iPod and hit the road. Just my luck- it started sleeting heavily. It was all I could do to not stop during the first few minutes. It was cold, wet, sleet was hitting me hard in the face (and eyes). In short- it sucked. But after the first half mile, it seemed to lighten up again and I decided to keep going. At the 2 mile mark, I told myself not to be a wuss and that I was already out in it and wet, so why not just do the last 1.5 miles? So I did.

One thing I didn't do was look at my watch timer at all. I figured with the bad weather, I would be happy just getting it done- no matter the pace. However, when I stopped, I was shocked to see I had run those 3.5miles faster then any of my previous times at that distance. I am quite happy because I'm still seeing some real progress each and every time out. Baby steps I know, but encouraging nonetheless.

The P90X schedule calls for a recovery week this week as it is week 4. Today was Yoga. I'm short on time, so I only did the Warrior section at the start (1st half of the DVD). Still it was enough to get me sweating heavily again and reminded me how farI have yet to go to get back into shape.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Mike,
Ha ha, Jeff pimped you out...I love it!! Great job on your run and way to tough it out!! I know how it sucks to run in the sleet! You did good:) I am impressed that you are doing Yoga too! I am still mentally not ready for Yoga yet, I know that it is a great cross training and stretching/strengthening tool. I just wish I could sit still for two minutes:) Keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

Mike,

I came across your blog as I research P90x and half marathon training. Thrilled to see that we started the p90x routine on the same day. I did start my running on Jan 1 and my half marathon isn't until June. I've found that in the little time since starting p90x that it has greatly improved my running. I'm also struggling to get every workout in. 6 days of p90x and 4-5 days of running wears me down.

I don't know if you have any races you can run before your half, but I'd recommend it if you can. First, it's nice to have a race to look forward to that isn't 12 weeks out. Second, it will give you an idea of how you feel during a race and what pace you can shoot for. I have an 8k that is at the end of my official week 1 of training. Then, I have a 5k and 10 miler during the training schedule.

Thanks for the updates. It helps to keep me motivated to get both workouts in.

Mike said...

Thaks Julie. I'm trying.....Yoga eally sucks. No matter how much I ry and kid myself, I hate it every time!

Mike said...

Hi Chris! Nice to see I have someone else doing some of the craziness too. Don't beat yourself up if you can't fit every workout in. What we are doing is ambitious- so when you can do it, do it. And if you can only get one workout in, then do one. Because one is always better then none!