Sunday, February 21, 2010

5 Mile Run

Saturday was a scheduled 5 miles run. this followed a 40 minute cross training on Friday. So, let me start there.

Friday I decided to use the Kenpo X DVD for my P90X as my cross train. And I switched the legs and back workout to Saturday. I tried to push myself during the Kenpo to keep my heart rate up as high as I could. I figured it would be a good way to push my cardio base without pounding on my legs by running. Got a great workout in. Felt good and it als helped with osme of the soreness from my heaviest training week so far.

Saturday, I saw the running schedule called for a 5 miles run. I was quite nervous as this would be the longest I have ever run (4 miles last weekend was the record for me so far). I got a little bit of a break as the weather was awesome- well, awesome in comparison to what we've had recently. It was in the low 40's and really sunny. So, instead of 3 layers, I only put on 2 layers of gear, plus I didn't wear my hit or gloves. However, knowing that this run would probably take me over 45 minutes, I decided to take some hydration out with me as well as a GU gel pack. I didn't want to hit a wall while running.

Overall, I felt pretty good about the run. I managed to do this run in 54:10. So I was able to keep my mile paces under 11:00. Which for me is huge. Just a few weeks ago, I was struggling with 14-15:00 miles. I'm seeing improvement every time, which is positive. My only issues with the run were these:

1) I have to get used to running with a hydration belt and how to drink and run at the same time. The weight of the water bottle on my backside made me feel awkward while running. I really thought about it a lot in the first mile. And, to take my first drink (after abotu2.5 miles), I had to stop quickly to get it out, take a drink, and put it back in.

2) I have to get used to eating the GU gel while running. My hands were so sweaty, I had trouble getting the pack open and eating it. I ended up stopping quickly to do this. I'm sure this will come with practice.

3) I need to find the right thing to use as my liquid hydration. For today's run I mixed up a batch of P90X recovery drink. Normally, after a hard workout, I drink this stuff. And it tastes SO GOOD. but between the platic taste of my waterbottle, and the thickness of the liquid, it just wasn't a good fit for my run. It was fine after- just not during. I picked up some of the GU hydration drink mix as well as some Propel mix and I am going to test them out during my runs to see what I like best.

Anyway, today is sunday and I'm taking a rest day. I am not as sore as I was right after the run. When the run ended, I felt like I needed a nap! And my legs were pretty tight. Grabbed a shower and stayed in it a while just relaxing! So I thought I'd be sore today. but I really am not. Which is a good sign I think. It shows my body is adapting well to the extra work.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Mike,
I just got done reading Jeff's blog post today...I thought I would stop by your blog:) Good luck to you and your future running!!! Have a great week:)

Boomer said...

I also just came over from Jeff's blog. Its nice to see you hitting it hard again. Wow, you are really pouring on the training. I am going to see if me knee will allow me to run on a regular basis. I will be using you posts for inspiration. Keep up the great work.

Mike said...

Hi Julie! Hi Boomer! Nice to meet you both!