Monday, March 2, 2009

P90X Round 2 Day 15: Chest and Back

Daily Workout Summary: Well, after a long day Sunday playing a lot of indoor soccer, I decided to take the rest of that day off. I was just too exhausted and beat up to try and fit in a P90X workout. So, today (Monday) I did my Chest and back workout. I had considered doubling up today (doing the C & B in the morning and Plyo at night), but I am too tired. This is because of two things: 1) I'm starting to get sick (sapping me of my energy) and 2) we got hit with a bunch of snow and I had to do a lot of snowblowing and shoveling today.

I did the chest and back workout early, which made running the snowblower and shovel a lot of fun later on. In retrospect, it was probably good though. Because after clearing my driveway and sidewalk (twice each), I would not have been able to bring it with good intensity.

I did pretty well today. I am matching or exceeding reps on all moves. One issue I'm faced with is the lawnmowers and heavy pants moves. I used bands for pretty much all of round 1. this round, I'm usin dumbbells. My wife got me an adjustable set that goes from 5-25lbs. This works for most everything I've been doing, but with moves like these two, I just don' have enough weight. The last two weeks, I've done at least 20 reps on heavy pants each round at 25lbs, and I'm not getting any burn. If I keep going until I burn out, I end up having to pause the DVD for a while. So, I may have to keep an eye on sales at Dick's to see if I can go get some heavierweights at some point.

Ab Ripper was a bit of a bear today. I got through it, but with the soreness of all my games yesterday, it was a challenge. I knew I was in trouble with the Pfifer Scissors when I was burning in my abs at rep 6! i got through them without stopping, but I was STRUGGLING! It hurt so good! But next time I'd prefer to make it until rep 15 or 20 to feel like that!

Diet: Solid diet day. breakfast was a protein shake. snack was a protein bar. Lunch was some grilled chicken and some carrots. Snack was an EAS CarbControl protein shake. dinner was some chicken and a small salad.

Favorite Move of The Day: Pfifer Scissors. I figured since I struggled with these today, I'd talk a little about them. From everything I've heard, this is probably the move that most people struggle with. I have good days and bad days with it. to be honest, it was the bane of my existence during round 1. However, around week 5 or 6, I realized that the key to getting through it is to breathe! I don't mean just breathe inand out. I mean to inhale as you switch legs, and exhale as you hold. If you slowly exhale and concetrate on your breath and abs, you gain more control of your core and the pain associated with the move. Whenever I struggle, I just remember to breathe and focus on the breathe- not the pain. It usually helps me get through it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am using 35lbs on the lawnmowers and it still isnt enough weight. It is better than the back bands but I could still go higher. The problem is I don't want to spend $130 on two 50 lb dumbbells that I am only going to use on two exercises .... such drama!