Monday, December 15, 2008

P90X+- Day 1: Upper Plus

Hello all! I'm back and ready to tackle the next finess challenge- P90X+. I started today along with Jeff (from DangletheCarrot) and Matt. I had taken a week off to relax and recover following my P90X completion. So, aside from a pretty nasty cold/upper respiratory thing going on, I was ready to BRING IT!

So, today was the first day. This workout is called Upper Plus and is a total upper body workout hitting your shoulders, back, triceps, and biceps. Yes there are still plenty of push ups and sit ups. But the variations are groovy.

I'll talk about two of my favorites from today. The first is the 7 point pull up. If you are using a P90X pull up bar, you know that there are some other handles/grips that aren't used. Well, this exercise has you do one rep on every grip working out to in, and using reverse grip a few times for a grand total of 7 different pull ups on one rep. It is intense! I made it through 3 rounds which I felt good about since it was the first time through and I had taken the week off.

The other great move on this workout was the Spiderman pushups. You basically have one are out further then the other and bring a leg in (like SPiderman crwling up a wall). You do a push up like that, then swithc your hands and feet and do it again. It is great and I really felt a good burn from it.

Also new to this workout routine is the all new Abs/Core Plus. This take sthe place of the Ab Ripper. I liked some of the moves, but some I'm not a fan of. In particular, there are a series of moves that involve hanging from the pull up bar. I felt like my shoulders were going to explode doing these and it really hurt my form.

On the plus side there are a few killer moves. The Cherry Bomb is a bear! You start in banana, roll on your side, roll back, bull in (like an in and out), then balance on your butt and extend your arms and legs, then back to the in and out, then back to banana. It's a killer!

I started back on phase ! of the diet plan which is the low carb higher protein section. I did well for my first day back on it. I started off with a whey protein shake for breakfast. Snack was a Myoplex Lite protein bar. Lunch was a chef salad with fat free ranch. Afternoon snack was a cheese stick. And dinner was some beef and brochali stir fry over a spoonful of brown rice.

I'll be back tomorrow for an all new Intervals Plus workout!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice job dude

mrmick23 said...

Way to bring it!! I haven't yet fully felt the effect of the workout(soreness wise) but, I'll tell you after finishing the upper it felt like I had been hit by a freight train. The Abs/Core will be hard to get used to but, I'm sure once I am able to do all of these exercises properly things will come together nicley. I also Noticed that after Total Body Plus there is no abs. I am thinking that if the workout doesn't include too much abs that this would be a good day to through in ab ripper....anyways lets see what intervals X brings!!!