Saturday, December 20, 2008

P90X+ Day 6: Kenpo Plus

Today was the last of the "new" workouts within P90X+. This one is a new Kenpo workout called Kenpo Plus. It's 42 minutes long and is non-stop moving, kicking, and punching. It was a lot of fun.

One of my biggest issues with the P90X+ program is how little time Tony takes demonstrating and explaining new moves on the DVDs. In the original program, he explains how to do each one and usually does a rep at the beginning that doesn't count just to show you. With the "Plus", he doens't really explain it. This has lead to a lot of me having to pause anrewind the DVDs as I try and figure out what I'm doing.

This was especially the case with the Kenpo Plus workout. There are a lot of really great new combinations and moves, but I was constantly having to stop an go back just to figure out what was going on. For example, one of the coolest new moves, The Galdiator, was also one of the hardest to figure out how to do. It's basically a jump kick and down punch, but the way you do it isn't natural to me. You do 30 secinds from one starting stance and 30 seconds from the other. It took me quite a while to get this down.

That being said, I tried to bring it the best I could. I was also tired having spent most of the day at the mall with the wife and kids trying to finish up all of our last minute shopping. So working out was not something I was looking forward to. But, I still burned 685 calories. I'm sure I'll burn more the next time once I'm more comfortable with how to do the moves and can just concentrate on bringing it!

Tomorrow is a rest day. I may go for a run or something depending on my mood.

No comments: